Thursday, May 1, 2008

On the Road in Indiana...Ohio bound!

Good Morning St. Roberts Students!
Thanks for all the comments and words of encouragement. It really helps me pedal faster! If you have any questions for me, please send them along. Keep the posts coming...I love hearing from you all.
Today I am running late...Ohio is still a long way off, so I got an early start this morning on my bike. I could use a good strong wind from out of the West to help push me along. Today I passed through a town called Kinsey. I was hoping to find some breakfast, but only found a rusty old gumball machine outside the American Legion Post 2465. My hope is that when I get to North Manchester there will be signs of civilization and a place to eat...I can only hope.

Wait...I can see a Big Mac, French Fries and a Chocolate Shake!!! No - it was only a mirage. North Manchester is still 12 miles away.

On my ride today, I also biked past another St. Roberts Church out in the middle of farm country. There is not much out here but fields and wide open sky. My goal for tomorrow is to reach the state of Ohio.
On a final note, I wanted to wish Sister Mary Lou all the best this weekend at her retirement party. I am sorry I will not be there, but my family and I wish her all the best and thank her for her dedicated years of service to St. Robert Bellarmine.


Jim Ryan

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay Dad, I've got a little Ohio trivia for you that can keep your mind occupied while you are on your bike. Your crew might also want to look into this. Ohio has produced more Presidents than any other state in the Union (7). Can you name some of them? Here's a hint, none of them were all that memorable as president although one did get his face on our currency and some were historically bad.

Tom

Anonymous said...

Jim,
Thought of you a lot today since it was National Prayer Day. Believe me, I thank God daily for wonderful families like the Ryans. You and many others have made my teaching career a wonderful one at SRB! I've told my entire family about your bike-a-thon to D.C. and they think it's a unique and marvelou idea. Find the wind at your back tomorrow, won't you? Stay content and remain safe.

doobabe1954 said...

Hey Jim! Mom and I are watching you as you go along. What a way to see our great country! We are so proud of you and pray you are safe each day. Margie

Anonymous said...

Jim,
Soon you'll be in the land of Ohio! Perhaps you'll ride near one of our old Mission Trip Stomping groungs, Portsmouth OH. I remember it was evey bit of 10 hours by car, so I do applaud this effort!

What a great inspiration for everyone, students and parents!

Stay safe - PEACE!

Ralph & Rosemary

McGuff said...

I was so excited to see your new post this morning! I love the picture that you put up. You are really getting to see America in a way that most of us never will! Our trips down the expressway will never compare to this. You are truly wonderful for doing this for the students. Keep being safe. Love, Molly