Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Another Beautiful Day!

The Chesapeake and Ohio Trail is real a national treasure loaded with all kinds of wild life and wild flowers. The trail winds through some of the most beautiful parts of America. I will pedal on this trail from Cumberland, Maryland to Washington D.C. - almost 200 miles.

Going back over this trip, I want to thank my brothers, Dan and Ray who were there for me when "Project Cycle St. Roberts" crashed and burned somewhere near the Ohio boarder. They left Chicago and came to my aid and got me back on my bike, refreshed and ready to complete the trip. I would like to say thanks to Sister Mary Lou for working with me and connecting me with the students of St. Roberts. I would also like to thank Ms. Sheelagh Spooner for using her teaching skills to bring me into the 21st century by replacing a plumber's wrenches with a keyboard and mouse. Now it is time to head for Washington D. C. which is just 65 miles further down the road.

Below are some of the photos I took along the way



The bike trail follows the Shenandoah Valley

Cumberland, Maryland is the beginning of the C&O bike trail


Climbing a hill in West Virginia


This is the Potomac River which parallels the C & O bike trail


This is the house of the C&O Canal Gate Keeper


Thomas Jefferson's lookout over Harper 's Ferry, West Virginia


150 more miles to Washington D.C.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love following you on your trip! Great job!
Larry and Betty

doobabe1954 said...

What a great experience! Thanks for sharing it with all of us in your daily journals. Good luck to you and your crew!
Love,
Mom and Margie

Anonymous said...

Jim, I have so enjoyed your day by day account. The photos are marvelous! Thank you so much. We are all praying for you.

Sr. Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Say Hi to Uncle Sam while you are there. We are all proud of what you have done. Congratulations on your journey.

Phil H. Class of '89

Anonymous said...

Your last blog was full of wonderful news and pics. I'm still
speechless about all that you accomplished in your journey. The mileage was impressive surely but your sheer determination was unbelievable. Enjoy the ride to DC with the end in sight. I can hardly wait for you to return to the grounds of SRB for all the accolades you deserve.

McGuff said...

YOU MADE IT!!! WoW! You should be so very proud of yourself. I am proud that you are my uncle. Not only have you accomplished your own goal you did it while helping kids! There isn't anything better. Take lots of pictures in D.C. to share then sit back and enjoy the comfy ride home,you deserve it. Molly

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr.Ryan,
the photos are marvelous,cool,and enjoyable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have been praying for you!!!!!!!!!! I am happy you are doing this for are school! Keep on going!!!!!!!! GO GO GO GO GO!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Jim,
I'm so happy to hear that you have made it. What a great accomplishment. The pictures are beautiful. It really is a good way to see the country. One question that the students keep asking me is how many miles did you ride. Can't wait to hear all about your trip. Have a safe ride home.
Sheelagh